Initial test of Accelerometer visualization communication. Day 59 Beatjazz system Crowdfunding Campaign
Day 59 of the campaign to create the most amazing live music performance system ever! Two of the limited number of controllers i will be building for this campaign, are now spoken for (not including the special TRON campaign version for TRON contributor who is looking forward to the updated systems and design to come)!! yaaay!! so i can start acquiring the tools necessary to get started on aspects of the project now! if you'd like to fund this project, head over to www.indiegogo.com/beatjazzsystem and check out the perks including a new "Beatjazz supporter pack!" which is for those of you that want to support the project but don't want a beatjazz controller itself. this is chock full of handmade goodness including a screen print beatjazz system "why should computers have all the fun!" t_shirt, designed by myself and Loganic, a "just for you" cd mixtape of beatjazz joints from the last 10 years. I even give you a shoutout in your mix, a beatjazz stencil and a 3D printed keychain, which will get you entrance and drink discounts at many future shows! check it out. if there is something that i should be offering, please let me know.
now work has begun in earnest on the visual system. i must admit, i was expecting something harder or at least on par with the aneurysm i almost had, coming to grips with pure data. but GEM, the graphical portion of pure data, uses a wonderfully intuitive "cascading" functions style of patch creation. each object flows down into the next and manipulations, i.e. things that manipulate those objects, branch off of this "GEMlist". i was all set for a headache but i was able to work out object instantiation and placement rather quickly. i did this video earlier today after i discovered a decent way of including the accelrometer zaxis. yaaaaay!
i spent the last few day de-wiring my main patch. i replaced all wires with send/receive object pairs. basically, in PD, you type the name of a funciton into a box and it has points on that box that allow it to connect to other functions by way of "wires", like a patchbay in a studio. i decided that i would replace these with a "wireless" transmitter/reciever object pair that let you [send "this"] to [receive "this"] without any wires. the beauty of this is that deeep in the guts of the patch, i can put a [send]transmitter at the point when the sensor data is coming into the program, then just put clean [recieves] anywhere i want that data to go, anywhere in any portion of the patch. this will really aid in modularity because now i can, say, create a synth and simply links its controls to these little wireless hooks so that when i need it, i simply type its name and it pops up, ready to play with all linkages being handles wirelessly. so i can instantiate multiple instances and the interface remains clean and simple...theoretically.
either way, the wireless object system is in place, and i feel comfortable enough with GEM to move on creating the full visual interface in the next day or so. this will become the thing i look at from now on, rather than the underlying patch.
Just started looking for a local source for acquiring parts to build the 3d printer although i may have to order it online. eithe rway, i expect to start dealing with the intricacies of CAD in about 3 weeks. next after GEM is synthesis, which to me is the really exciting part!! stay tuned.