And then, there was light...
Finally got around to installing the rgb LEDs. I decided to install some smaller 5mm ones I had laying around rather than the big monster LEDs I plan to install later. These are simply there to allow me to start programming color sequences. The bigger ones need a bigger battery and that is a battle for another day/week. Today I just wanted something pretty and simple to play around with right now.
I installed two for each hand; one forward facing and one that I can see at all times. Why should the audience have all the fun! The mouth interface has a couple that are set to respond to lip and breath pressure. I cribbed that setup from the wx5. Especially the lip, which shows me whether i am in tune or not. Those two are kinda slow in reaction time currently, so there is an optimization session already in the making.
I haven’t assigned them to anything yet. They are simply "on", which for me, right now, is enough because they look so cool. But eventually, their functionality will be inseparable from the playability of the instrument. With all of these sensors and parameters and sounds, there needs to be a cohesive way of making sense of it all that doesn't require looking at the laptop. TouchOSC may be useful in that regard but color association, IMO, will be even more useful.
Funny...having lights on your hands makes you want to move your hands. You can’t help it. the effect is like having glowsticks with music coming out, which, as you can imagine, makes you want to make them move more, which makes more music come out and on and on. Addictive.
And NOW baby is fully playable! Fixed a few key assignments and changed the breath threshold settings so now even at low velocities, there is a bit more of a "punch" to the notes, and FAST! Finally got the timing to be quicker than the wx5. The trick was to use an object in PD called [threshold] which I made hold back all but one "bang". Since the data is so abundant and forceful, my articulations are benefiting from what was, a week ago, a problem of too much data throughput. The lip pressure is similar although my mouthpiece design needs a couple more generations of refinement to take advantage of it fully. Now that "pressure" gives the system a sound of its own.
now comes a diversification of time that includes, getting a gym membership ( gotta be fit for the debut party), language classes (FINALLY) at a school literally around the corner from where I live, finishing the book, and of course more coding and loads of sound design. For the last duty, I just got a welcome gift from the maker of my primary synth host in the form of a new upgrade. FL studio 10. As upgrades go, this one is pretty conservative and concentrates on mostly refining an already great product, but the thing that peaked my interest is the addition of a plugin called Patcher which allows me to save my synth/effects/control settings, as one singular "instrument"! Very big deal for me, as I create many dozens of synth/effect/control patches and being able to recall them easily is a holy grail for me and for Beatjazz. I have experimented with many hosts for this very function and finally it seems that FL studio has added it! This is right on time and I look forward to rinsing it this weekend.